Firstly when you setup a website you need hosting. If you take the analogy that a website is a house then hosting would be the sewer lines, electricity and city services for the house. You need all these services for your website to work. Dreamhost offers high quality services for low price and has excellent customer support.
Secondly you need a domain name. This is like the street address for the house. Its usually a good idea to get hosting and your domain name from the same provider. That way you don’t have to do any complicated setup like pointing your nameservs and messing around with A Records and what not which is required when you host with one company but buy the domain from another company. You have to manually edit attributes in the Domain to point it to your hosting providers servers. If you do all through Dreamhost its super easy and doesn’t require any of that complicated process.
Thirdly you need a content management system, this would be like the actual makings of the house. The frame of the house, the roof, the walls, etc. WordPress is a very easy to use CMS which makes building the website very easy and can be built quickly if necessary. On Dreamhost you can install WordPress with 1-click. With other hosting providers you likely have to manually install which requires logging into the server via ftp and moving the WordPress files over. Then going through the setup process including creating a SQL database and providing the host, port, username and password for the setup. Its kind of a pain to manually install WordPress so its nice Dreamhost can do it automatically with 1-click.
Fourth you need a Theme, this is like the design and layout for the house. On ThemeForest there are every kind of theme you can imagine allowing you to make your website look just how you want it, without having to hire and expensive developer. Themes typically cost $40-60.
Process to Build Website
NO coding required
1) Get Hosting
2) Get Domain
3) Install WordPress
4) Find Theme
5) Install Theme
6) Edit Theme
First step is to sign up for Hosting. Dreampress recommends using Dreamhost but you can Compare Hosting Services here. Shared hosting is a good plan to start with. View differences between hosting plans here.
**This tutorial shows how to build a website using Dreamhost as the Hosting Service. So the process will be a little different if you’re using a different Hosting provider.
- Login to the Dreamhost Cpanel at https://panel.dreamhost.com/
- Go Domains -> Manage Domains -> Register a New Domain -> Search for your ideal domain name
- Add to cart and pay for the domain, typically costs $12
- Once you have paid for the Domain its time to Fully Host the Domain.
- Go Domains -> Manage Domains -> Click Fully Host this domain
Installing WordPress with Dreamhost is as easy as one click.
- Login to Cpanel at https://panel.dreamhost.com/
- Go Goodies -> One-Click Installs -> WordPress -> Select Domain -> Click Install. **Dreamhost will automatically install WordPress to your site.
- Check your email. There will be a email from Dreamhost with your WordPress Username
- Follow the link in the email to setup a password
- Login into your site by going to websitename.com/wp-admin
- Setup easy username if you want. Dremahost creates a hard to remember username. You can create a easy one by going to: Users -> Add New -> Enter Username/email/PW -> Set Role as Adminstrator
Now its time to find a theme.
- Go to Themeforest and search wordpress themes for the type of site your building. For example a Phone App website you’d search for “App” https://themeforest.net/category/wordpress?term=app
- Browse all the Themes viewing the live demo of what the site looks like.
- Find the one that has the right look and has the functionalities you are looking for
- Buy and Download the theme
To install the Theme you first Download the .zip file from Themeforest. Then you have to unzip the outer folder but leave the internal Theme folder zipped. WordPress requires the Theme folder to be zipped in order to install it.
- Unzip the outer folder of the zip file, i.e. the downloaded file. Within this outer folder there should be a zipped folder with the name of the Theme. This file you want to keep zipped. Just unzip the main file that you downloaded.
- Install Theme by logging into the WordPress Dashboard.
- Go to your website and put /wp-admin at the end of the url. www.websitename.com/wp-admin
- Go Appearance -> Themes -> Add New -> Upload Theme -> Select the internal zip file.
**Select the zipped file with the Theme Name. It should be within the unzipped file you downloaded.
**If there are 2 theme files, one named child. Then install the one without child name first. Then install child theme
- Click install
- Activate theme: Appearance -> Themes -> Select Theme -> Activate
- Install Demo Data: Appearance -> Import Demo Data
**Installing Demo data can vary between themes. Typically its is in Appearance demo data. If not then check the install doc provided by the Theme provider.
Your webpage should now look like the demo in Themeforest after you install the Theme and load the demo data. Once the Theme is installed its time to edit the pages and add the content. Detailed description on how to edit your WordPress site
- Edit pages, to change the homepage goto: Settings -> Reading -> Your homepage displays A static page -> Select Homepage
- Now edit the pages adding the content and info about your app